You are here
Professional Development Grant
Student Association Professional Development Grant
The Student Association Professional Development Grant (SAPDG) provides financial support to eligible students who submit an application to engage in professional development or career advancement activities. The main criteria for this grant is the demonstration of a clearly defined link to academic or professional goals and how the proposed activity will support those goals.
Students who plan to submit an application for a Student Association Professional Development Grant are encouraged to contact the Office of Students Services by email prior to submitting the application for guidance on the application and selection process.
Students must cover their expenses and submit appropriate documentation for reimbursement. Student Association Professional Development Grant awards may not be advanced.
Student Association Professional Development Grants are not considered by the Student Association during the summer and winter terms.
- Students must be registered in the CUNY School of Professional Studies for the current semester
- Students must have been continuously enrolled at CUNY SPS for a minimum of two semesters
- Students must be matriculated with a minimum GPA of 2.00 for undergraduate students and a minimum GPA of 2.50 for graduate students
- Students must be making good academic progress towards the completion of their degree or certificate
- Students must have a record of good conduct
- Students must not owe tuition or fees to the CUNY School of Professional Studies
- Students must be available for any application follow up questions or clarification via email or phone
Post-award requirements for reimbursement
- The approved professional development activity must be concluded before requesting a reimbursement
- Requests for reimbursements must be submitted to Student Services by email within 10 days of the completed grant activity
- Students who are awarded a SAPDG must submit a list of requested expenses along with the corresponding receipts to Student Services by email within 10 business days of the approved activity for the processing of a reimbursement
- Along with proof of payment (original receipts, cancelled checks, credit card statements, etc.), students who are awarded a SAPDG must write a 250-500 word recap of the grant activity and how it affected the grantee’s educational goals for publication in The Kiosk or on social media
Examples of activities the Student Association Professional Development Grant funds include, but are not limited to:
- Conference related expenses (registration fees, accommodations and travel)
- Registration fees for locally based professional development workshops or career networking opportunities
- Professional Association Memberships
- Other activities evaluated on a case by case basis
The Student Association Professional Development Grant cannot be used for:
- Full or partial tuition or fee costs
- Textbook or course materials
- Conference related expenses (meals, local travel, incidentals)
- Personal expenses (living costs, credit card debt, loans, legal costs)
A maximum of $250.00 will be awarded per academic year, subject to supporting documentation. The final award amount will be based upon review of applications and supporting documentation by the SAPDG Committee.
If the cost of the activity exceeds the amount approved, the individual is responsible for paying the remaining balance. The Student Association or the CUNY School of Professional Studies is not responsible for any remaining balance of the activity.
As the grant draws on a limited pool of funds, the Student Association cannot always guarantee the availability of SAPDG funds.
Grant reimbursement may be taxable income and recipients are encouraged to consult with a tax professional.
How to apply for the Student Association Professional Development Grant
The Student Association Professional Development Grant Committee reviews and makes decisions on Professional Development Grants as needed. Applicants will be notified of their application status within ten days following the SAPDG Committee vote.
Awards will be made for 2022-23 academic year during the fall and spring terms only. To apply, complete the application.