You are here
The CUNY School of Professional Studies does not have its own dormitories or other housing accommodations. Low cost housing in New York City can sometimes take considerable time to locate. Students who need housing should plan to arrive in New York allowing sufficient time before classes start in order to arrange housing.
The following section will provide you with resources and helpful information to assist you in your search for housing. The CUNY School of Professional Studies neither endorses nor recommends any particular housing. These arrangements are the responsibility of the student.
Housing Search Tips
Factors that need to be considered when searching for an apartment include rental costs, location, transportation, convenience, safety, and other living expenses. If you decide to share an apartment with roommates, discuss your expectations and make proper arrangements in advance. Once you find a potential place, visit the neighborhood. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Speak to other tenants or people from the neighborhood. Ask about the landlord's credibility. Inspect the apartment carefully to check for any damages.
General items to discuss with the landlord:
- Rental price
- Security deposit
- Are utilities included
- Maintenance and repair responsibilities
- Number of tenants allowed
- Number of bedrooms
- Furniture and/or appliances included
- Transportation available in the area
- Children and pet policies
- Cancellation procedures
- How to apply for electric, telephone, cable, and other services
Read the lease carefully and be sure that you understand it completely before you sign it. Discuss any problem areas in the lease and clarify them. It is an acceptable legal document once it is signed by you and the landlord. After the agreement is completed, be sure to get a copy of the lease with both signatures on it.
- SpareRoom.com - http://www.spareroom.com/roommates
- Educational Housing Services - www.studenthousing.org
- International House - www.ihouse-nyc.org/s/707/start.aspx
- YMCA - www.ymcanyc.org
- Craig’s List - www.craigslist.org
- The Village Voice - http://villagevoice.backpage.com/
- Rent Direct New York - www.rent-direct.com
- New York Times - www.nytimes.com/pages//realestate/index.html
- New York City Rent Guidelines Board - www.housingnyc.com
- Move.com - www.move.com/apartments/main.aspx
- Apartments.com - www.apartments.com
- Coolrent.net - www.coolrent.net
- City Realty - http://www.cityrealty.com/
- Sublet.com – http://www.sublet.com/
- Penington Friends House – http://www.penington.org/
- Markle Residence for Women – http://gny.salvationarmy.org/
- Metropolitan Council on Housing - http://metcouncilonhousing.org/
- Apartment List - ApartmentList.com/ny/
Please know that the CUNY School of Professional Studies neither endorses nor recommends any particular housing. These arrangements are the responsibility of the student.