You are here
The mission of Academic Advisement is to promote undergraduate students’ development and academic success by providing support and guidance related to course choices, the adjustment to online learning, and helping students grow intellectually and personally. By fostering strong, respectful, and professional advisor-advisee relationships, Academic Advisement seeks to inspire students’ self-responsibility in achieving and understanding their educational goals.
Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm
Role of the Advisor
- Identifying the educational and career goals of students.
- Help students understand the need to have a balance between academics and work/personal life.
- Prepare incoming students with the expectations of the online learning environment.
- Acting liaison between students and faculty.
- Ensure a clear understanding of University Policy.
- Assist with course selection.
- Expected to consult with their advisor several times throughout the academic year.
- Read all incoming communications, and approach advisor should they have any questions.
- Read the CUNY SPS Catalog to learn more about our courses and to review our policies.
- Students are also encouraged to discuss any personal life events that could affect academic success.
- Become familiar with the CUNYfirst system in order to review course offerings and register for classes.
- Explore the CUNY SPS website to become familiar with the various departments and the services we offer to students.
Watch the video to meet our office staff who relay important tips for new and continuing students.