You are here
Crime in Progress
1. Do not attempt to apprehend or interfere with a crime in progress, except in cases of self-protection. If possible, move to a safe location.
2. In the event of a robbery, do not resist.
3. If safe to do so, attempt to get a good description of the criminal. If the criminal is entering a vehicle, note the license number, make, model, color and outstanding characteristics of the vehicle.
4. If you observe a crime or are a victim, call the Office of Public Safety at 646-664-8600, advise the officer of the situation, and provide the following information:
- Your name
- Location of incident
- Description of the suspects involved (clothing and physical features)
- Injuries that have occurred
- Description of any weapons involved
- Description of property involved
- The suspect's direction of travel and vehicle description (if applicable)
Make sure that the officer understands that the incident is in progress
5. If possible, stay on the line with the officer until help arrives. Keep the officer updated on any changes in the situation so responding personnel can be updated. Even if you cannot communicate, keep the line open so the officer listening in can learn more about what is happening.
6. Meet with Public Safety and law enforcement personnel when they arrive.