You are here
One Fire Warden, two Deputy Wardens, and one male and one female Searcher are assigned to each CUNY SPS floor.
If the Fire Wardens or Searchers are not readily available and you should encounter a fire:
1. PULL THE FIRE ALARM
- Activate the nearest fire alarm box by lifting the cover and pulling the handle.
- Call 911, CUNY SPS Public Safety (646) 664-8600 and the Office of Campus Operations, if possible.
If it is not safe to make the call from the effected floor, first evacuate all occupants to the next re-entry floor and find the call box on that floor.
Be prepared to provide the following information:
- Specific conditions (smoke, fire, etc.)
- Specific location (floor, room)
- Your name and location
2. NOTIFY ALL OCCUPANTS ON THE FLOOR
- Notify those in the immediate area of the danger.
- Assist in removing any disabled person from the immediate area.
- Male and Female searchers will enter the bathrooms to alert occupants of fire on the floor.
- Any available supervisors or staff members are to check classrooms in their immediate areas to alert occupants of fire on the floor.
3. PREPARE TO EVACUATE THE FLOOR
- Remain calm and proceed to evacuate the area in an orderly manner. Do not rush, push, or panic. Rely on planning and knowledge.
- Assist disabled persons to evacuate the area. Be particularly aware of persons with sight or hearing disabilities.
- Do not go back to retrieve belongings.
- If there is smoke, stay low, for ease of breathing.
4. USE STAIRWAYS TO GO DOWN TO THE NEXT RE-ENTRY FLOOR
- Use the stairways indicated by Fire Warden. Never use an elevator to evacuate unless directed to do so by the fire department.
- Before opening any door, touch the door with the back of your hand. Do not open a door that is warm or hot.
- Close doors behind you to prevent fire spread, but make sure that you can reopen them if you need to retreat.
- If trapped in a building with operable windows, open windows at the top to let heat and smoke out, open at the bottom to breathe.
- Do not attempt to walk down to street level unless instructed to do so by fire department or lobby security. Fire department may need clear access in stairwells.
If a full building evacuation is required, staff are to meet at the following locations:
- Primary meeting area: Greeley Square at 32nd St. & Broadway
- Secondary meeting area: Herald Square: Broadway & 34th St.
For building-specific fire emergency instructions and lists of fire wardens, see the complete CUNY SPS Emergency Handbook.