You are here
RN to BS-MS in Nursing Informatics (Accelerated)
Nurse informatics specialists play a crucial role in all healthcare environments as they are charged with ensuring that the best available scientific data and technology are available to design and implement plans for patient care. Informatics nurses use, integrate, and analyze technology to make changes in nursing practice, advance health outcomes, and facilitate research and education.
The RN to BS-MS in Nursing Informatics online degree program guides nursing professionals to assess institutional data needs, manage data effectively, and improve patient care quality. In addition to taking courses focused on quality and safety to enhance patient outcomes, students enroll in a six-credit practicum to gain experience with compliance and accreditation mandates, staff education, and the design of new data management systems.
The RN to BS-MS in Nursing Informatics is a dual degree program that provides a seamless progression (and “fast track”) from the BS to MS programs. The program’s overlapping coursework allows students to complete both degrees within an integrated framework and in less time than each degree completed on its own.
The American Medical Informatics Association estimated that up to 70,000 health informatics specialists will be needed across the healthcare system over the next several years.
Graduates of the RN to BS-MS in Nursing Informatics program are prepared for a number of employment opportunities such as Clinical Informatics Nurse, Informatics Nurse Specialist, Director of Clinical Informatics, and RN Clinical Applications Coordinator and potentially eligible to take the American Nurses Credentialing Center Informatics Nursing Certification Examination.
This program is accredited by the NYS Education Department.
Prior Learning Assessment
CUNY SPS accepts selected nursing certifications for evaluation for college credit. Evaluations represent recommendations of potential credit available for degree program planning purposes.
The certification must be current in order for the student to be eligible for credit. Students are not required to have any additional review or to have the credit transcribed on a transcript for CUNY SPS to evaluate.
Please be advised that Supporting Documentation must be submitted and includes:
- An official letter on the organization’s letterhead attesting to the certification provided in a sealed envelope OR
- Certificate of the selected nursing certification with the organization’s letterhead.
- The letter/certificate needs to include the following information
- Name of individual
- Identifier such as individual’s date of birth or last four digits of social security number
- Indication of successful completion of examination
- Title and date of certification
- Length of certification/date the certification expires.
Prospective students and applicants should schedule a meeting with their academic advisor to obtain an unofficial credit evaluation. Visit Credit for non-collegiate prior learning for more information or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To qualify for admission to the RN to BS-MS in Nursing Informatics program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Associate’s degree in nursing from an accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or above out of a 4.0
- Unencumbered nursing license and a current registration
- Admission essay highlighting education and career achievement, including specific examples of problem-solving while working in the practice setting, leadership experience at the bedside or in other settings, and professional and community awards
- Three letters of recommendation from each a faculty member, nurse leader/immediate supervisor, and community leader
- A description of an evidence-based practice project completed in nursing school or in the practice setting
Applications for Fall 2019 are due by June 3, 2019Apply Now