Undergraduate Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid administers federal and state funds to help you pursue higher education at the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS). The office will work with you to combine grants and loans to help meet the difference between the cost of college* and the contributions you and your family are able to make.

Most award amounts are based on need and you will have to maintain good academic standing.

Types of Financial Aid


Awards based on need and which do not have to be repaid.


Funds borrowed by the student from the federal government and which must be repaid with interest.

How to Apply

To receive both Federal and State financial aid as a CUNY student, you must complete two forms:

  1. First, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be sure to include our school code 004765
  2. Then, complete the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application with code 1420 if
    • you or your parents are New York State residents
    • and you will be registered full time (12 credits or more) in either term
    • or part time (6-11 credits) and began attending college on or after the 2006-2007 academic year

Both forms can be completed online. The FAFSA is available here. If you have questions while completing the FAFSA form you may contact the FAFSA help line at (800) 433-3243. You should be directed to the TAP application after completing the online FAFSA if you are a NY resident. For additional TAP information visit hesc.ny.gov.

We urge you to apply for financial aid for each upcoming academic year before the deadline of April 15.

  • The FAFSA Title IV Code is 004765.
  • The school code for TAP is 1420.

When filling out your FAFSA, please note that CUNY School of Professional Studies shares a Title IV code with the CUNY Graduate School and University Center and will appear as “CUNY GRADUATE SCH & UNIV CTR”.

If you do not qualify for federal or state financial aid, please contact the Bursar Office for payment options at bursar@sps.cuny.edu or (646) 664-8640.

Financial Aid Requirements

  • You must be in a degree program, in good academic standing, and making satisfactory academic progress as defined by The City University of New York (CUNY).
  • Full-time undergraduate students should complete a Baccalaureate degree within six (6) years.
  • You cannot be in default of any federal educational loans and/or owe a federal grant repayment.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen to be eligible for federal aid.