Graduate Financial Aid

Graduate degree students may be eligible for federal loans. Veterans tuition awards may be available for eligible veterans pursuing graduate studies. Students enrolled in graduate certificate programs do not qualify for financial aid.

  • The basic kinds of financial assistance are loans. Loans do need to be repaid.

How to Apply

To receive both Federal and State financial aid as a CUNY student, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The FAFSA form is available at If you have questions while completing the FAFSA form you may contact the FAFSA help line at (800) 433-3243.

We urge you to apply for financial aid for each upcoming academic year before the deadline of April 15.

When completing the FAFSA, the Title IV Code is 004765. When filling out your FAFSA, please note that CUNY School of Professional Studies shares a Title IV code with the CUNY Graduate School and University Center and will appear as “CUNY GRADUATE SCH & UNIV CTR”.

You will have to maintain good academic standing.

If you do not qualify for or are not interested in requesting federal loans, please contact the Bursar Office for payment options at or (646) 664-8640.

Federal Financial Aid Requirements

  • You must be enrolled for at least 6 graduate credits each semester. Prerequisite courses do not count.
  • You must be in a degree program, in good academic standing, and making satisfactory academic progress as defined by The City University of New York.
  • Full-time graduate students should complete a Master's degree within three (3) years. Students must earn at least two-thirds of the credits that are attempted.
  • Graduate students must maintain a 3.00 GPA.
  • You cannot be in default of any federal educational loans and/or owe a federal grant repayment.