VTA (veteran tuition assistance)

For eligible veterans residing in New York, the state offers assistance in the form of the VTA grant. It is available for full time or part time study. 

Eligibility Requirements

An applicant must:

  • be a legal resident of NYS and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the term;
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma by passing a General Educational Development Test (GED), or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department;
  • be matriculated full or part- time at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution in New York State or in an approved vocational training program in New York State;
  • meet good academic standing requirements;
  • be charged at least $200 tuition per year;
  • have applied for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) for all undergraduate or graduate study;
  • be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any state award;
  • be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a state award;
  • be discharged under honorable conditions from the U.S. Armed Forces and:
    • a Vietnam Veteran who served in Indochina between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975; or
    • a Persian Gulf Veteran who served in the Persian Gulf on or after August 2, 1990; or
    • an Afghanistan Veteran who served in Afghanistan during hostilities on or after September 11, 2001, or
    • a Veteran of the United States Armed Forces who served in hostilities that occurred after February 28, 1961, as evidenced by receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal or a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal.

How to Apply