You are here
Services for Students
The CUNY School of Professional Studies provides free and confidential mental health services (consultation, short-term psychotherapy, crisis intervention, evaluation and supportive referral services) to currently enrolled students. Eligibility for various services will depend on a student's state and country of residence, but all CUNY SPS enrolled students are eligible for an Initial Consultation and some other forms of support.
Scheduling a Consultation
All students interested in receiving support from Student Counseling Services begin with an Initial Consultation telephone or video appointment. This 60-75 minute consultation appointment is free and confidential (as are all of our services). During the Initial Consultation, students can expect to complete some online paperwork and to discuss:
- What concerns bring them to contact counseling services
- The history of these concerns
- General mental health and health history
- Steps to take to improve their situation, in both the short- and long-term
- What services are available to them through CUNY SPS
- The difference between different types of therapy and therapists, and what problems they address
- How mental health services can benefit anyone, whether or not they have a diagnosis
In addition to discussing services through SPS, students can also receive help thinking about:
- How to find low- or no-cost services off campus, if desired
- How to understand insurance benefits and get the most out of coverage
- Understanding the confidentiality implications of insurance plans
- Options available to those who do not have health insurance or whose coverage does not include mental/behavioral health
- How to find an excellent off-campus therapist when you are not sure where to start
Email and Confidentiality
When you email, please remember that email is inherently not a confidential medium. We recommend that you use email only to inquire about services and to make scheduling requests, not as a place to disclose details about your mental health situation. If you email, Student Counseling Services staff will follow up to have more in-depth phone conversations by appointment.
To schedule a consultation, please email email@example.com.