You are here
Resumes, Cover Letters, ePortfolios, Websites
Every jobseeker needs a toolkit. Resumes and cover letters are essential for a toolkit, which then can be used to create a website. Some jobseekers use work samples to build a portfolio too.
Helpful Links to build your job search tool-kit:
- Seven Overused Phrases on Resumes
- Resume Tips for Career Changers
- Should you consider a Functional Resume?
- Companies weigh in on what makes a good cover letter
CUNY SPS ePortfolios
At CUNY SPS, students can create an ePortfolio site to share their academic and professional achievements with potential employers or for graduate school applications.
If you have an ePortfolio in Digication, please contact the ePortfolio Team at email@example.com to help you upload your resume and customize to your portfolio.
If you are interested in creating an ePortfolio site to promote your achievements, please contact Karen Gonzalez, ePortfolio Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org to help you get started!
Visit our Student Resource Site to learn more about ePortfolio.
Whether conducting a search for an internship, entry-level job or VP-level position, interviews are a necessary evil. As with any challenge, practice makes (almost) perfect and Career Services at CUNY SPS can help!
Helpful Links to ace your interviews:
- Mock Interviews: Contact email@example.com to schedule a practice session today.
- Make Your Outstanding Online Degree Stand Out with Employers
- Making the Most of an Interview - Tips from the AARP
- Follow-Up to Help You Land the Job
- Skype Interviews: What You Need To Know
"It's not what you know, it's who you know (and who knows you)!" All professionals, not just job seekers, must leverage relationships to be successful. Connecting with others in-person and online is also the best way to find a job. Networking is a MUST! Career Services can assist CUNY SPS students and alumni in planning your networking strategy and overcoming fears. Also contact us for assistance in preparing for job fairs and other career networking events. We recommend Quintcareers Tutorial for quick job fair tips.
Get started by joining the CUNY SPS LinkedIn and other online social platforms.
City Mentors Program
The City Tutors' City Mentors program provides CUNY students and alumni with free unlimited on-demand assistance from industry insiders within fields they want to learn more about, or want to enter. Mentors come from a variety of industries and experience levels.
After just two sessions, 70% of mentees looking for career guidance identify one or more concrete next steps that help position them in their professional journey and one half of mentees understand what they want to do professionally. After three sessions, 40% seeking professional opportunities secure at least an interview.
- You are matched within 24-48 hours of requesting support
- No long term commitments
- Step out and return to the program whenever you'd like
- Meet with as many mentors as you'd like
- Use the service to get your resume reviewed, learn more about an industry, or get help applying for opportunities
CareerSpring is a collective of individuals and organizations who believe that first-generation college students have the preparation and intellectual capacity, a set of life experiences, and grit necessary to add significant value to our workforce. Together, employers, educators, community organizations, and volunteers help CareerSpring provide:
- Access through targeted outreach and impact on first-generation students
- A platform of career information, advising, and job placement opportunities
- A network of social capital that first-generation students can leverage to advance
Forage is an online resource which offers virtual experience programs designed by leading companies. Develop your skills and gain a real understanding of different roles and sectors by working through these self-paced modules, with tasks similar to those you would undertake during a traditional internship.
During the program, you will work through a set of materials and tasks set by company, which are designed to replicate the sort of work that you would undertake as an intern or graduate. All of our programs are self-paced (taking between 5 to 6 hours to complete) ensuring that you can fit your participation flexibly around other commitments.
These programs include:
- Video instructions and materials created by employees within your chosen organization
- Work that reflects real day-to-day tasks of interns and graduates
- The chance to compare your work with that of a graduate at your chosen organization
What are the benefits?
- Sample what work is like at leading companies
- Discover career paths that you may not have previously considered
- Build confidence and gain skills to get you 'work-ready'
Our programs are completely free and open-access for students, and there are no length application processes to complete one of our programs.
To learn more about Forage, and join 2 million students worldwide, get started!