You are here
Resumes, Cover Letters, ePortfolios, Websites
Every jobseeker needs a toolkit. Resumes and cover letters are essential for a toolkit, which then can be used to create a website. Some jobseekers use work samples to build a portfolio too.
Helpful Links to build your job search tool-kit:
- Seven Overused Phrases on Resumes
- Resume Tips for Career Changers
- Should you consider a Functional Resume?
- Companies weigh in on what makes a good cover letter
Whether conducting a search for an internship, entry-level job or VP-level position, interviews are a necessary evil. As with any challenge, practice makes (almost) perfect and Career Services at CUNY SPS can help!
Helpful Links to ace your interviews:
- Mock Interviews: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a practice session today.
- Make Your Outstanding Online Degree Stand Out with Employers
- Making the Most of an Interview - Tips from the AARP
- Follow-Up to Help You Land the Job
- Skype Interviews: What You Need To Know
"It's not what you know, it's who you know (and who knows you)!" All professionals, not just job seekers, must leverage relationships to be successful. Connecting with others in-person and online is also the best way to find a job. Networking is a MUST! Career Services can assist CUNY SPS students and alumni in planning your networking strategy and overcoming fears. Also contact us for assistance in preparing for job fairs and other career networking events. We recommend Quintcareers Tutorial for quick job fair tips.
Get started by joining the CUNY SPS LinkedIn and other online social platforms.
City Mentors Program
The City Tutors' City Mentors program provides CUNY students and alumni with free unlimited on-demand assistance from industry insiders within fields they want to learn more about, or want to enter. Mentors come from a variety of industries and experience levels.
After just two sessions, 70% of mentees looking for career guidance identify one or more concrete next steps that help position them in their professional journey and one half of mentees understand what they want to do professionally. After three sessions, 40% seeking professional opportunities secure at least an interview.
- You are matched within 24-48 hours of requesting support
- No long term commitments
- Step out and return to the program whenever you'd like
- Meet with as many mentors as you'd like
- Use the service to get your resume reviewed, learn more about an industry, or get help applying for opportunities