You are here
RN to BS-MS in Nursing Organizational Leadership (Accelerated)
Across the nation, nurses have been encouraged to develop the knowledge, leadership abilities, and interpersonal skills beyond what is learned at the bachelor’s degree level to improve the healthcare system. The Institute of Medicine’s Future of Nursing report recommends that future nurses gain proficiency in competencies such as team leadership, systems thinking, decision-making, and quality improvement.
The RN to BS-MS in Nursing Organizational Leadership online degree prepares nurses to be able to contribute to the health, education, and social structure of communities by assuming positions of leadership. The program creates a landscape for nurses to promote innovative change and quality outcomes, translate evidence-based research into practice, build collaborative interprofessional healthcare teams to coordinate care, and employ advocacy strategies to influence healthcare policy across the healthcare spectrum.
Watch an Online Info Session here: Bachelor's Degrees in Nursing
Governor Cuomo recently signed a bill into legislation requiring all RNs to either have or obtain a bachelor's degree within 10 years of initial licensure. However, for many RNs with full-time jobs, families, and community responsibilities, there is little time for school. Many associate's degree nurse graduates are unable to find jobs with regular hours without a BS degree and need an affordable, flexible alternative to earn it. An online BS or BS-MS in Nursing program could be the answer. This webinar reviews:
- The changing healthcare environment
- Our RN to BS in Nursing degree program
- Our new accelerated RN to BS-MS degrees in Nursing Education, Nursing Informatics, and Nursing Organizational Leadership
- The process for returning to school for an advanced Nursing degree
- How the CUNY SPS Nursing online programs can work for you
The RN to BS-MS in Nursing Organizational Leadership is a dual degree program that provides a seamless progression (and “fast track”) from the BS to MS programs. The program’s overlapping coursework allows students to complete both degrees within an integrated framework and in less time than each degree completed on its own.
Career Scope and Academic Prospects
The health care field presents unprecedented career opportunities for master’s prepared nurses as a direct result of the expansion of integrated healthcare systems, growth of the elderly population, advances in technology, challenges related to health insurance, and a focus on health disparities and underserved populations.
Graduates of the RN to BS-MS in Nursing Organizational Leadership degree are qualified to serve as directors of nursing, chief nursing officers, nurse managers, accountable care coordinators, and wellness program directors. Potential workplaces for these roles include hospitals, outpatient care clinics, medical centers, home healthcare agencies, long-term care facilities, and academic health systems.
This program is accredited by the NYS Education Department.
Prior Learning Assessment
CUNY SPS accepts selected nursing certifications for evaluation for college credit. Evaluations represent recommendations of potential credit available for degree program planning purposes.
The certification must be current in order for the student to be eligible for credit. Students are not required to have any additional review or to have the credit transcribed on a transcript for CUNY SPS to evaluate.
Please be advised that Supporting Documentation must be submitted and includes:
- An official letter on the organization’s letterhead attesting to the certification provided in a sealed envelope OR
- Certificate of the selected nursing certification with the organization’s letterhead.
- The letter/certificate needs to include the following information
- Name of individual
- Identifier such as individual’s date of birth or last four digits of social security number
- Indication of successful completion of examination
- Title and date of certification
- Length of certification/date the certification expires.
Prospective students and applicants should schedule a meeting with their academic advisor to obtain an unofficial credit evaluation. Visit Credit for non-collegiate prior learning for more information or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To qualify for admission to the RN to BS-MS in Nursing Organizational Leadership program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Associate’s degree in nursing from an accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or above out of a 4.0
- Unencumbered nursing license and a current registration
- Admission essay highlighting education and career achievement, including specific examples of problem-solving while working in the practice setting, leadership experience at the bedside or in other settings, and professional and community awards
- Three letters of recommendation from each a faculty member, nurse leader/immediate supervisor, and community leader
- A description of an evidence-based practice project completed in nursing school or in the practice setting
Applications for Spring 2019 are due by November 29, 2018Apply Now