You are here
Credit by Portfolio Evaluation
CUNY SPS partners with the Council for Adult & Experiential Learning (CAEL) to provide students with guidance and structure to prepare portfolios that reflect the knowledge and expertise learned outside the classroom.
- To create a portfolio, enroll in PLA 300 - Portfolio Development for Prior Learning Assessment, a three-credit, eight-week, online CUNY SPS College Option course.
- Students enroll in PLA 300 by PLA Coordinator permission and must have advisor approval before beginning their portfolios. PLA cannot be taken in the last semester at CUNY SPS. In addition, eligibility to enroll in PLA 300 - Portfolio Development for Prior Learning Assessment, includes:
- At least a 2.0 GPA
- Credit for ENG 101 or equivalent
- Fewer than 90 transfer credits
- Each portfolio is the equivalent of a course, and upon its completion, CAEL subject-matter expert faculty will assess your portfolio and make recommendations for the college credits you should receive.
- Up to 18 credits of portfolio credit may be directly applied to your degree as general education, major requirements, or elective credit.
- PLA 300 is a pass/fail course.
To determine if you are a good candidate for prior learning or to find out more about PLA at CUNY SPS, please contact Jennifer Sparrow at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 652-2040.