You are here
Credit by Portfolio Evaluation
CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) partners with the Council for Adult & Experiential Learning (CAEL) to provide students with guidance and structure to prepare portfolios that reflect the knowledge and expertise learned outside the classroom.
To create a portfolio, enroll in PLA 300 - Portfolio Development for Prior Learning Assessment, a three-credit, eight-week, online CUNY SPS College Option course. To enroll in PLA 300, permission must be given by the PLA Coordinator and have an advisor's approval before students can begin their portfolios. PLA cannot be taken in the last semester at CUNY SPS.
Additional criteria to enroll in PLA 300 includes:
- At least a 2.0 GPA
- Credit for ENG 101 or equivalent
- Fewer than 105 transfer credits
- Each portfolio is the equivalent of a course, and upon its completion, CAEL subject-matter expert faculty will assess your portfolio and make recommendations for the college credits you should receive.
- Up to 18 credits of portfolio credit may be directly applied to your degree as general education, major requirements, or elective credit.
- PLA 300 is a pass/fail course.
To determine if you are a good candidate for credit for prior learning or to find out more about PLA at CUNY SPS, please contact Experiential Learning Manager Holli Broadfoot at email@example.com or 646.344.7273.