You are here
Services for Students
CUNY School of Professional Studies provides free and confidential mental health services (consultation, short-term psychotherapy, crisis intervention, evaluation and supportive referral services) to currently enrolled students. Eligibility for certain services will depend on a student's state and country of residence, but all CUNY SPS enrolled students are eligible for an Initial Consultation and some other forms of support.
Scheduling a Consultation
All students interested in CUNY SPS Counseling Services begin with an Initial Consultation telephone appointment. This 60-75 minute consultation appointment is free and confidential (as are all of our services). During the Initial Consultation, students can expect to complete some online paperwork and to discuss:
- What concerns bring them to contact counseling services
- The history of these concerns
- General mental health and health history
- Steps to take to improve their situation, in both the short- and long-term
- What services are available to them through CUNY SPS
- The difference between different types of therapy and therapists, and what problems they address
- How mental health services can benefit anyone, whether or not they have a diagnosis
In addition to discussing services through SPS, students can also receive help thinking about:
- How to find low- or no-cost services off campus, if desired
- How to understand insurance benefits and get the most out of coverage
- Understanding the confidentiality implications of insurance plans
- Options available to those who do not have health insurance or whose coverage does not include mental/behavioral health
- How to find an excellent off-campus therapist when you are not sure where to start
Email and Confidentiality
When you email, please remember that email is inherently not a confidential medium. We recommend that you use email only to inquire about services and to make scheduling requests, not as a place to disclose details about your mental health situation. If you email, Counseling Services staff will follow up to have more in-depth phone conversations by appointment.
To schedule a consultation, please email email@example.com.
In an Emergency or Crisis
If you are having an emergency that affects your safety or the safety of others, you should call 911 or go to your nearest hospital emergency room.
If you are having a mental health crisis, you can text CUNY to 741741 or you can call 988, a mental health crisis line, from any phone.