You are here
Services for Students
Starting in Spring 2019, SPS will provide free and confidential mental health services (consultation, crisis intervention, evaluation, short-term psychotherapy, supportive referral services,) to enrolled SPS students. Eligibility for various services will depend on a student’s state of residence, but all students will be eligible for some form of support.
Scheduling a Consultation
Until full services are available, SPS has on staff a Licensed Clinical Psychologist available to speak with students, confidentially, by phone or in person, about how to connect with appropriate off-campus mental health resources (a Customized Supported Referral). During this consultation, students can expect to receive help considering:
- What type of mental health services might help
- How mental health services can benefit anyone, whether or not you have a diagnosis
- Some tips on how to improve your situation as you wait to connect with a provider
- How to find low- or no-cost services
- How to understand your insurance benefits
- How to get the most out of your insurance coverage
- What are the confidentiality implications of your insurance plan
- Options when you do not have health insurance or when your insurance does not cover mental health
- How to find an excellent therapist when you are not sure where to start
- Understanding the difference between different types of therapy and therapists
Email and Confidentiality
When you email, please remember that email is inherently not a confidential medium. We recommend that you use email to communicate only about scheduling, not to discuss the personal details of what brings you to seek consultation.
To schedule a consultation, please email Counseling@sps.cuny.edu or call 646-664-8647.
In an Emergency
If you are having an emergency that affects your safety or the safety of others, you should call 911 or go to your nearest hospital emergency room.
Counseling email and voicemail are checked several times per day during standard business hours (Monday – Friday, 9 – 5pm, Eastern Standard Time). If you call or email, it may be a few hours before your email or voicemail is received.