You are here
BA in Communication and Media
Class of 2020
What were some of the most defining aspects of your time at CUNY SPS?
The most defining aspect of my time at CUNY SPS was taking a Women in Film course with Dr. Elizabeth Alsop. I grew a passion for the subject and knew that my career would focus on improving the Black and Latina female narrative in media. Also, going through the height of the pandemic with Dr. Alsop was an experience I will never forget. She took such care of her students during such a scary time. She is a gem!
What is the best piece of advice, or most important thing you learned at CUNY SPS?
I learned to challenge my thoughts and opinions of others. This allowed me to take a stance on what I believed in and gave me the confidence to be bold. It helped shape the way I communicate with my peers, especially on topics prevalent in our society.
How has your CUNY SPS influenced your current job, and your career overall?
My education from CUNY SPS allowed me to grow quickly at my current job. I was given new tasks and was able to take the lead in certain projects. The highlight was leading the communications training for our team and winning the HEART award for my work.
What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
The most rewarding aspect of my job is being part of the process that employs our healthcare professionals in New York. Those first few months of the pandemic were intense. Yet, making sure that our hospitals were equipped with willing healthcare professionals motivated me. I knew God positioned me for this moment in history.
Where do you see yourself in five years?
I have many dreams, but I would have completed graduate school in five years. I am in my second semester already. I see myself having my own digital marketing agency and working with Black and Latinx-owned companies. I would love to guest write and critique films in notable publications.
OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM
- What show/s are you currently watching? Too many! Right now, I am watching The Underground Railroad limited series on Amazon Prime and The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu.
- What is your favorite meal? Shrimp alfredo. I perfected my alfredo sauce during quarantine!
- What is your favorite line in a movie? I quote this one regularly, nothing motivating just really funny. “Dr. Harris, do you concur?” -Frank Abagnale, Jr., Catch Me If You Can.
- Favorite or most recent book you read? My favorite book of all time is In the time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez.
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, none, all? All except Facebook.
- List 3 things you would bring to a deserted island. A compass, a knife, and a satellite phone.