Online Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (R.N. to B.S.)
The online Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (R.N. to B.S. in Nursing) program provides registered nurses with the academic credential necessary to help them advance in the field. Through the flexibility of online study, students of this program build on prior knowledge gained at the associate's degree level, and explore pressing issues related to today's changing global healthcare environment. The program is designed to assist students in developing intellectual curiosity and a spirit of inquiry essential to professional development.
Dedicated CUNY faculty and expert practitioners draw on the Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Nursing Practice by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing to help students develop and demonstrate competency in:
- Health assessment
- Leadership and management
- Nursing research
- Care of culturally diverse populations
- Global Health and policy issues
Career and Academic Advancement Prospects
The online B.S. in Nursing program prepares licensed registered nurses to assume leadership positions in hospitals, community agencies, and long-term care facilities across the metropolitan area and beyond. Students gain the tools needed to meet the challenges of the evolving healthcare system, as well as the knowledge and experience required to move forward into graduate level studies and advanced practice nursing.
To qualify for admission to the online Bachelor's Degree in Nursing program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Associate's degree in nursing from the City University of New York or from a non-CUNY regional or nationally accredited credit-granting institution with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Current licensure in New York State as a Registered Professional Nurse, or eligibility to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination - RN (NCLEX-RN) - in New York State. Students who do not currently hold an RN license may apply to the program in anticipation of licensure. Unlicensed students who meet the eligibility criteria will be admitted on a case by case basis and will be required to obtain their RN license before beginning their second term in the program.
- Nurses who hold a nursing diploma from a non-credit granting institution may also apply. Diploma applicants will be awarded 36 credits for their nursing education, if they have passed the NCLEX-RN and have an NYS RN license to practice, and will be required to complete 84 credits of coursework to be awarded the BS in Nursing degree.
- All University policies regarding skills and proficiency testing, grading, transfer credit, and degree completion will apply.
The online application requires students to complete a personal essay that will help us understand your educational goals and readiness to return to college.
In order to enroll in the online B.S. in Nursing program, students must provide documentation of one of the following categories:
- U.S. Citizenship
- Permanent Residency
- Granted asylum, refugee status, temporary protected status, withholding of removal, deferred enforced departure, or deferred action status by the U.S. Government
*International students may enroll in fully online degree programs. However, our online programs do not qualify for student visas.
- Applications for Fall 2015 is June 12, 2015 - Apply Now
For more information about the program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 212.652.2869.
The nursing program is registered and accredited by the New York State Education Department. The registration of a program means that it has met the Department's standards for accreditation as provided in the Rules of the Board of Regents and the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education.
The CUNY School of Professional Studies RN to BS Nursing Program was accepted as a candidate for accreditation by the Collegiate Commission on Nursing Education (CCNE) in Spring 2014. The Nursing Program is scheduled to host a CCNE accreditation site visit on February 4 - 6, 2015.
The CUNY School of Professional Studies is also regionally accredited through the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. To learn more about how the CUNY School of Professional Studies is accredited through Middle States, click here.