Online tutoring support is provided, free of charge, for SPS Students by a consortium of diverse institutions offering a wide array of subject areas.
Students can choose to speak with a tutor on the phone, communicate using text messaging or via e-mail. Students may ask questions about specific subject areas or if they need assistance writing a paper, they may submit a written draft for a tutor to review up to three times. Tutors will not edit, correct, proofread or rewrite papers. They will, however, coach students to consider the clarity of their work, point out inconsistencies in arguments, and identify problems with grammar. As busy people who may not have written papers for a long time, having support with writing assignments across the curriculum can be a great benefit. Likewise, if students need additional support in math or statistics, we encourage them to work with a tutor and if they need help with a research project, they can choose the Research and Information Literacy tutors, all of whom are doctoral students at CUNY.
To access the e-Tutoring services follow the instructions below:
- Go to http://www.etutoring.org/login.cfm?institutionid=159
- Click on “Need an Account?”
- Create a login and password (can be anything that you can remember)
- Review the ways in which the Writing Center can offer assistance
- Submit a paper or a sample of your writing so that the tutors can help and give feedback
- The tutors will return the paper with comments and suggestions within a day or two
If you have any questions about the tutoring services, please call 212-652-2869 or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individual tutoring may also be available through each program department. Please check with your specific program for more information.