You are here
The CUNY SPS Emergency Grant
The purpose of the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) Emergency Grant Fund is to provide emergency financial assistance to eligible students who are experiencing hardship which could adversely affect their educational success. The main criteria for a grant are the demonstration of a genuine need and that the capacity for continued study may be in jeopardy due to financial hardship.
Students who plan to submit an application for a CUNY SPS Emergency Grant should contact Dr. Zeita-Marion Lobley, Director of Student Services at 646-664-8615 by phone or at firstname.lastname@example.org by email prior to submitting the application for guidance on the application process.
2017-2018 CUNY SPS Emergency Grant Application Cycles:
Fall 2017 Semester: September 6 through December 15, 2017
2018 Winter Session: January 4 through January 16, 2018
Spring 2018 Semester: February 5 through May 18, 2018
Emergency grants are not available between semesters.
Eligibility requirements for an emergency grant:
- Students must be registered at the CUNY School of Professional Studies for the current semester.
- Students must be matriculated with a minimum GPA of 2.00 for undergraduate students and a minimum GPA of 2.5 for graduate students.
- Students must have a record of good conduct.
- Students must not owe tuition or fees to the CUNY School of Professional Studies.
- Students must have a current emergency need.
- Students must demonstrate an ability and intention to complete their course of study.
- Students must be available for an in-person or a virtual consultation and be willing to participate in post-award questionnaires and interviews.
- Only students residing in the United States are eligible to apply for the CUNY SPS Emergency Grant
Examples of emergencies include, but are not limited to:
- Homelessness due to loss of housing or threat of eviction.
- Domestic violence.
- Destruction of living quarters due to fire or natural disaster (primary residence).
- Theft of computer, books, clothing or other essential belongings.
- Overdue bills (medical, rent, utility turn-off notice).
- Temporary job loss.
- Unexpected expenses due to illness or death in the immediate family.
- Other (you will be asked to provide a detailed explanation of your emergency).
CUNY SPS Emergency Grants cannot be used for:
- Full or partial tuition or fee costs.
- Previous educational debts.
- Credit card debts or loan payments.
- Legal representation or services.
The CUNY SPS Emergency Grant is a one-time award given to students who are experiencing a temporary financial crisis to enable them to remain in school.
Maximum Award: $1,500.00 subject to supporting documentation. The final award amount will be based on need as described in the student’s application and as supported by the appropriate documentation.
Students should contact Z Lobley before applying for a Grant. Applicants will be contacted within 24 hours, 48 hours for applications submitted over the weekend, to schedule an in-person or Skype meeting.
Emergency funds cannot be sent to a student but will be paid directly to a third party, if a grant is awarded. Given this, it is important that documentation includes the specific information needed to get the payment to the approved payee. For example, a request for emergency funds to pay for housing must include the name, mailing address, phone number, and account information of the landlord.
As the grant draws on a limited pool of funds, the School cannot always guarantee the availability of funds for assistance.
How to apply for a CUNY SPS Emergency Grant:
Applications are available online and include:
- A statement explaining your emergency and how the current situation is affecting your studies.
- A statement describing what the requested funds will be used for. You will be asked to itemize each cost and provide supporting documentation for each item.
- A statement describing what you have done and what you are planning to do in order to resolve your crisis and stay enrolled in School.
Upon review of the student’s eligibility and in-person or virtual consultation, complete applications will be reviewed by the Committee and a determination will be made. Committee decisions are final. If approved, the grant will be disbursed to the approved payees within 72 hours.
Use your CUNY SPS username and password to login to the application system.