You are here
The CUNY SPS Emergency Grant
The CUNY SPS Emergency Grant provides assistance to students at risk of dropping out of college due to unexpected financial emergencies by providing quick-response assistance to matriculated students in good academic standing who are facing short-term financial emergencies. The goal of the CUNY SPS Emergency Grant is to help students remain in school and meet their educational goals, rather than being forced to take a leave of absence or stop out.
Grant Application Guidelines
Students who demonstrate need and are facing a current unexpected financial emergency may apply for this grant. All applications require documentation and verification. Examples of financial emergencies to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- Temporary loss of job or income
- Homelessness, sudden loss of housing, or threat of eviction
- Unexpected medical circumstances
- Significant loss due to fire/natural disaster (primary residence)
- Domestic violence
- Loss of child care
- Fire or theft
- Other (you will be asked to give an explanation of your emergency in your personal statement)
CUNY SPS Emergency Grants cannot be used for:
- Full or partial tuition or fee costs
- Previous debts to the School (including other CUNY Colleges)
- Legal representation or services
Eligibility requirements for the CUNY SPS Emergency Grant:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and matriculated, with a minimum GPA of 2.00.
- Applicants must have a record of good conduct.
- Applicants must have paid tuition to the CUNY School of Professional Studies. Students who receive financial aid and those who have paid tuition to CUNY SPS are eligible.
- Applicants must be willing to participate in post-award questionnaires and interviews.
The maximum award an applicant can receive is $2,000.00. The final award amount will be based on need as described in the student’s application and as supported by the appropriate documentation.
A CUNY SPS Student Services representative will contact the applicant within 48 hours to further assess each emergency grant request and to provide support and guidance through the application process.
Applicants will be advised if additional documentation is necessary or will strengthen their request for an Emergency Grant prior to sending it to the Committee. Since payment of emergency funds will be made directly to a third party, not to the student, documentation must include specific information in order to get the payment properly credited to the student’s account. (For example, a request for emergency funds to pay for housing must include the name, address, and account information of the landlord.)
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the Committee.
How to apply for a CUNY SPS Emergency Grant:
Applications are available online and include:
- Statement of need: a brief statement explaining your emergency and describing how the funds requested will be used. You must itemize each cost and provide a total of the requested amount.
- Supporting documentation: You must submit a supporting document for each itemized cost listed in your statement of need.
Upon review of the student’s eligibility, complete applications and supporting documentation, the Committee will be convened and the decision made. Committee decisions are final. If approved, the grants will be awarded within 72 hours.
Use your Newman Library Credentials to login to the application system.