You are here
Business Office Assistant/College Assistant
Position: Business Office Assistant/College Assistant
PVN #: 0051
Closing Date: Open until filled
Department: CUNY School of Professional Studies
Location: Temporarily Remote
The CUNY School of Professional Studies:
For over 15 years, the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) has been leading online education in New York. Notable for offering the most online bachelor’s and master’s degree options at the City University of New York, and for serving transfer students as the University system’s only undergraduate all-transfer college, CUNY SPS meets the needs of adults who wish to finish a bachelor’s degree, progress from an associate’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, and advance in the workplace or change careers.
The School’s growth has been remarkable, with twenty-four degrees launched since 2006. Enrollment has risen by more than 30% in the last four years to over 4,000 students in the credit-bearing programs. Thousands more are enrolled in non-degree and grant-funded workplace learning programs. In addition, the School has an active alumni network and has established the CUNY SPS Foundation, which offers multiple scholarship opportunities to current students.
CUNY SPS has consistently been named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top online institutions. This year, the School was ranked in the top 2% in the nation on the publisher’s list of the 2021 Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Finance Specialist, the Business Office Assistant will:
- Assist with accounting duties such as invoicing, data entry, journal entries, daily bank transaction reconciliation and other related general accounting duties for SPS tuition and fee, SPS Foundation, and other related entities.
- Assist with reviewing and processing payment requisitions on a timely manner, with particular focus on emergency grants from the SPS Foundation.
- Assist with the processing of payroll for CUNY SPS employees (including part-time staff and adjunct instructors).
- Review timesheets and various payroll reports to ensure accuracy as well as maintain accurate employee payroll data.
- Maintain detailed internal financial data tracking systems.
- Provide customer service and assist in responding to general Business Office inquiries.
- Serve as a liaison between CUNY SPS and CUNY Central Offices.
- Maintain office filing, including organizing, scanning and archiving old files.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma/GED
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration, or a Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- At least two years of related experience.
- Familiarity with CUNYFirst, Blackbaud Financial Edge and/or Quickbooks accounting system.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel (pivot-table, formulas, V-Lookup, etc.).
- Organizational and analytical skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to follow established processes.
- Motivated self-starter.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, demanding, and complex work environment.
- Ability to carry out complex assignments and adapt to changing situations and priorities.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Note: While the Business Office Assistant/College Assistant positon is currently remote, the selected finalist is expected to have access to a laptop/computer, internet and phone access to perform most job duties and responsibilities. Upon return to normal campus operations, this position will transition to our physical office located at 119 W 31st Street, New York, NY 10001.
Salary Range: $15.61 - $25.00 per hour based on qualifications and experience
Hours: 20 hours per week
Please send resume, cover letter and contact information of three (3) professional references to:
CUNY SPS Business Office Assistant/College Assistant Search
Ashreeta Shrestha, Finance Specialist
CUNY SPS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer:
The CUNY School of Professional Studies complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.
Selected applicants must pay fingerprint and filing fees (full-time CUNY students are excluded from fingerprint fee).
All prospective candidates must be able to be certified as eligible to work under the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
The CUNY School of Professional Studies verifies education and experience statements.