Grants for Undergraduate Degree Students

Grant money is awarded based on financial eligibility and does not have to be repaid. The following are the most common Grant programs available at the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS):

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant)
  • TAP (Tuition Assistance Program)
  • APTS (Aid for Part-Time Study)

In December 2011, President Obama signed into law the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2012 (Public Law 112-74). This law has significantly impacted the Pell Grant Program. Beginning in Fall 2012, students are now limited to 12 semesters (or 600%) of Pell Grant eligibility during their lifetime. This change, in time, will affect all students regardless of when or where they received their first Pell Grant. Students that are currently receiving the Pell Grant in the academic year 2011-2012 and have already used 600% of their Pell Grant eligibility will no longer be eligible to receive a Pell Grant starting Fall 2012.

Federal Pell Grant

This federal entitlement program was instituted to help undergraduate matriculated students meet the cost of their education. Pell grants are awarded to eligible students enrolled in a full-time program (12 or more credits). Reduced grants are available to students enrolled part-time. Applicants must demonstrate financial need. Students must apply each year by completing the FAFSA.

Federal SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant)

This federal grant is awarded to students who are enrolled at least half-time and demonstrate the greatest financial need. Awards are $200 per semester.

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

New York State's Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) provides grants to students to assist them in paying tuition. The TAP program is administered by the NY State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).

Regulations of both the Higher Education Services Corporation state (TAP /APTS) and federal programs require regular class participation. Financial aid regulations also require that students make satisfactory progress toward a degree. Students should be aware that all financial assistance awards are subject to student compliance with federal, state and/or college regulations concerning satisfactory academic progress and standing. Students dropping courses should refer to the financial aid guidelines for eligibility. Students on probation who make satisfactory progress will continue to be eligible for financial aid. All federal undergraduate financial aid is limited to 150 percent of the credits required for the bachelor's degree. Minimum standards of satisfactory progress for financial aid are indicated below.

To receive each TAP payment:

  • Credits counted must meet degree requirements as described in the Bulletin;
  • You must have completed a specific number of credits in the previous semester;
  • You must have accumulated a specific number of credits towards your degree;
  • You must maintain a specific minimum GPA (grade point average);
  • You must have declared a major by the time you complete 60 credits. (If you are repeating a course in order to earn the "C" required for your major, your major must be noted in your academic records even if you have not yet completed 61 credits.)

Continuing students

Before Being Certified for This Payment 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
A Student Must Have Accrued at Least This Many Credits 0 6 15 27 39 51 66 81 96 111
With At Least This Grade Point Average 0 1.5 1.8 1.8 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

Repeated Courses

Repeated courses in which you have already received a passing grade cannot be included in meeting the TAP full-time study requirement. Repeated courses may be counted toward the full-time study requirement if:

  1. You repeat a course that you have previously failed;
  2. You repeat a course for additional credit;
  3. You received a passing grade this is unacceptable in a particular curriculum.

TAP Waivers

You may be granted a waiver of the TAP academic requirements once, as an undergraduate student and once, as a graduate student, with the strong expectation that you will meet all requirements in the future. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information about the procedure for applying for a waiver.

Additional information about the New York States Tuition Assistance Program can be found on CUNY's New York State Grants website.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

The Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) program provides grant assistance for eligible part-time students enrolled in approved undergraduate studies.

Application Form

To apply you must first complete the FAFSA and complete the Supplement form found on your CUNYFirst Student Center. When prompted for institution, use SPS01. The aid year for 2018-2019 is 2019, for 2019-2020 is 2020, etc. Complete this as early as possible as funds are limited.

Qualifying Program and credits

You must be a matriculated student. For this program at CUNY part-time study means being enrolled for at least 6 but less than 12 credits per semester.

Resident information

You must be a New York State resident.


To be considered for an APTS award, students must:

  • Enroll part time as matriculated students in approved undergraduate degree programs or registered specific certificate programs certificate programs;
  • Meet the program income limits;
  • Be New York State residents and either United States citizens or qualifying non-citizens;
  • Have a tuition charge of at least $100 per year;
  • Not have used up Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) eligibility;
  • Maintain good academic standing;
  • Not be in default on a Federal Direct and/or FFEL Stafford Loan;
  • You must maintain a "C" average after having received the equivalent of two full years of payment of State-sponsored student financial aid;
  • Be a high school graduate, or receive the equivalent of a high school certificate, or receive a passing grade on a federally-approved examination if receiving a State-sponsored award for the first time in the 1996-97 academic year.

Income Limits

Eligibility for an APTS award is based on New York State net taxable income from the preceding calendar year.

  • If students were eligible to be claimed as tax dependents by their parents, family New York State NET taxable income can be as much as $50,550 to qualify for an award. Family income includes student AND parents' income.
  • If students were not eligible to be claimed by their parents as tax dependents, their New York State NET taxable income (including spouse's income) can be as much as $34,250 to qualify for an award. Spouse's income must be included if they were married on or before December 31 of the previous calendar year.
  • If students were not eligible to be claimed by their parents but were eligible to claim tax dependents other than self and/or spouse, New York State NET taxable income (including spouse's income) can be as much as $50,550 to qualify for an award. Spouse's income must be included if they were married on or before December 31 of the previous calendar year.