You are here
Undergraduate Financial Aid
The Office of Financial Aid administers federal and state funds to ensure that you will have an opportunity to pursue higher education at the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS). The office will work with you to combine scholarships, grants, and loans to help meet the difference between the cost of college and the contributions you and your family are able to make.
Most award amounts are based on need, and you will have to maintain good academic standing.
There are many options to choose from when considering both government-funded and private sources of financial assistance.
The basic kinds of financial assistance are:
- Grants - Federal and State - Grants do not have to be repaid.
- Loans - Loans do need to be repaid.
Federal Financial Aid Requirements
- You must be in a degree program, in good academic standing, and making satisfactory academic progress as defined by The City University of New York (CUNY).
- Full-time undergraduate students should complete a Baccalaureate degree within six (6) years.
- To remain eligible for financial aid undergraduate students must achieve a GPA (grade point average) of:
- 1.50 if 1-12.9 credits have been attempted
- 1.75 if 13.0-24.9 credits have been attempted
- 2.00 if 25 or more credits have been attempted
- You cannot be in default of any federal educational loans and/or owe a federal grant repayment.
How to Apply
To receive both Federal and State financial aid as a CUNY student, you must complete two forms: the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and, if you or your parents are New York State residents and you are a full time student (12 credits or more), the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application.
Both forms can be completed online. The FAFSA is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you have questions while completing the FAFSA form you may contact the FAFSA help line at 800.433.3243. You should be directed to the TAP application after completing the online FAFSA if you are a NY resident. For additional TAP information visit https://www.hesc.ny.gov/.
We urge you to apply for financial aid for each upcoming academic year before the deadline of April 15.
The FAFSA Title IV Code is 004765.
The school code for TAP is 1420.
When filling out your FAFSA, please note that CUNY School of Professional Studies shares a Title IV code with the CUNY Graduate School and University Center and will appear as “CUNY GRADUATE SCH & UNIV CTR”.