Certificate and Non-degree Students

When planning to attend a continuing studies course or program, an important consideration is the cost, which may include tuition, fees, books, supplies, travel and living expenses. There are various types of financial assistance options offered to help students afford tuition, such as scholarship opportunities, voucher programs, and alternative student loans for select academic programs.

Outside Scholarships

In some circumstances, the CUNY School of Professional Studies may accept scholarships, grants, or vouchers from outside or independent organizations as a form of tuition payment.

Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR)

ACCES-VR (formerly VESID) is the New York State agency that helps people with disabilities obtain employment. They assist each individual to define a career goal and, depending on the financial situation, may provide tuition or other support for education. For more information please contact Christopher Leydon at christopher.leydon@mail.cuny.edu or 646.664.8616.

Department of Veterans Affairs

The VA offers Educational Assistance program provides vouchers for education and training opportunities to eligible veterans. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. For more information, please visit: www.va.gov. Veterans are encouraged to contact Christopher Leydon at christopher.leydon@mail.cuny.edu or 646.664.8616.

Voucher Opportunities

  • New York State Educational Incentive Program: The educational Incentive Program (EIP) is a scholarship funded by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services. Its purpose is to assist child care providers in paying for the professional development training and education they need to provide quality care to children.
  • New York State & CSEA Partnership for Education and Training (NYSSCEA): NYSSCEA Tuition Benefits Program provides educational benefits to CSEA-represented New York State employees, enabling them to achieve greater career mobility and promotional opportunities, improve job skills, and to prepare for future state workforce needs through three components:

Employer and Union Vouchers

Many employers and most unions have funds available to support worker education and skills upgrades. Talk with your employer or union representative. We can provide course registration documentation for you. Please contact the Office of Bursar for more information at (646) 664-8640 or email bursar@sps.cuny.edu.

Student Loans

Students in certificate/non-degree programs may be eligible for alternative student loans. These loans are arranged between the student and a lender of his/her choosing and are not federally subsidized. These loans are similar to other consumer loans in that the lender will base eligibility on credit history and monthly debt to income ratio.

Once you select a lender, you must complete a Master Promissory Note then contact the Financial Aid Office at (646) 664-8720 for further instructions.

The choice of a lender is ultimately your decision. Here are some things to consider as you seek possible lenders for alternative loans:

  • Interest rate of the loan
  • Repayment schedule and monthly amounts
  • Length of repayment period
  • Total amount you will repay over the life of the loan
  • Penalties for missing monthly payments
  • Options for loan consolidation

Payment Plan Option

Tuition Pay Monthly Payment Plan

You may also pay for your course(s) over a period of time by enrolling with TuitionPay. To learn more, visit the Payment Methods section of our website or contact the Office of Bursar at (646) 664-8640 or email bursar@sps.cuny.edu.

Additional information about financial aid can be found at CUNY's website or in the CUNY Paying for College: A Solutions Handbook, which can be mailed to you upon request.