You are here
JSMI MA Tuition Assistance Scholarship FAQ
- If I have not previously filed for financial aid and I’m filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, am I required to apply for a loan?
No, you are not required to apply for a loan, only to fill out the application, which helps to determine need.
- Are all Murphy students eligible?
No, not at this time. Certificate seekers, BA students, recipients of the Joseph S. Murphy Scholarship for Diversity in Labor, Community Semester, and Union Semester students are not eligible. The scholarship is available only to students enrolled in a master’s degree program.
- Are new applicants eligible?
Yes, you can apply for the scholarship as you apply for admission. If you are admitted and awarded the scholarship, the funds must be used for the semester specified in your application for admission.
- Are part-time students eligible?
Yes, if you are enrolled in at least three credits.
- Are international students eligible?
No, not at this time.
- Who makes decisions about the applications?
Awards will be made by decision of the respective program Scholarship Committee.
- Are out-of-state residents eligible?
Yes. Preference will be given to residents of the City of New York and the State of New York. Out-of-state students are also eligible for awards up to the resident student tuition rate.
- Is there a work or volunteer assignment attached to the award?
No, although the academic director of your program will monitor your academic progress to ensure you remain in academic good standing. By submitting your application, you also agree to allow the Murphy Institute to feature you and your work on the Murphy blog. You can see past recipients here.
- When and how will I be notified when awards are made? Will I be notified if I have not received funding?
Applicants will receive initial notification via email by the beginning of the semester.
- How will I receive my award?
Scholarships will be credited directly to recipients’ tuition liability by the CUNY SPS Bursar after the last day of the semester to drop classes. Questions about your individual Financial Aid package should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.