You are here
Academic Skills Advisor – College Assistant
Position: Academic Skills Advisor – College Assistant
PVN #: 0032
Closing Date: Open until filled
Department: CUNY School of Professional Studies
The CUNY School of Professional Studies:
The CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) provides online and on campus degree and certificate programs that meet the needs of adults who are looking for a seamless way to finish or transition into a bachelor’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, advance in the workplace, or change careers.
Drawing on CUNY's nationally and internationally renowned faculty and practitioners, as well as industry and education partners, the School's programs provide opportunities for personal growth, job mobility, greater civic participation, and new ways to advance knowledge.
Home to the first fully online degree programs at the City University of New York, CUNY SPS offers fully accredited degree and certificate programs for students who want the flexibility and convenience of online education. CUNY SPS was ranked in the top 5% in the Nation in U.S. News & World Report’s list of the 2018 Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs.
The CUNY School of Professional Studies is seeking a highly motivated, self-starters to assist students in the Online Baccalaureate program with their tutoring needs. The program will deliver tutoring by participating in a national online training consortium that shares tutoring resources among its members.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Academic Director of Online Business Programs, the Academic Skills Advisor will:
- Support students in quantitative and qualitative research as well as information literacy, across the curriculum. Specific topics include the following: formulating research questions; designing strategies; developing and validating concepts; experimentation; finding, evaluating and citing information sources; data collection, analysis and interpretation; statistical analysis.
- Provide tutoring for a wide range of math-related undergraduate work including, but not limited to, statistics at various levels, accounting, economics, algebra, and geometry.
- Guide students through the process of reporting findings. Most research culminates in written reports and possibly oral presentations (online).
- Conduct tutoring online, synchronously and asynchronously.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma/GED
- Undergraduate degree.
- Experience teaching online.
- Strong customer service orientation, patience, and personable nature. Enthusiasm for working with students, particularly in a virtual environment is critical.
- Excellent online communication skills and the ability to respond to student enquiries rapidly.
- Ability to follow up and assess student understanding.
- Better than average computer skills; fluent in Microsoft Office applications and web-enabled communication.
- Specialization in business math, specifically accounting and finance, preferred.
Salary Range: $18.52 per hour.
Hours: Approximately 20 hours per week (some evenings and weekend hours).
Please send resume and cover letter along with the names, addresses, and phone numbers of 3 business references to:
Dean of Business
CUNY School of Professional Studies
119 W. 31 Street, Room 704,
New York, NY 10001
CUNY SPS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer:
The School of Professional Studies complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.
Selected applicants must pay fingerprint and filing fees (full-time CUNY students are excluded from fingerprint fee)
All prospective candidates must be able to be certified as eligible to work under the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
The School of Professional Studies verifies education and experience statements.