You are here
Center for Worker Education at Queens Assistant / College Assistant
Position: Center for Worker Education at Queens Assistant / College Assistant
PVN #: 0006
Closing Date: Open until filled
Department: JSM Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies
The CUNY School of Professional Studies / JSM Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies:
The School of Professional Studies of the City University of New York (CUNY SPS) has launched sixteen degrees: ten bachelor's degrees open to students with 24 or more college credits who wish to complete their undergraduate studies, and six master's degrees, with more programs currently in development. CUNY SPS leads the University in developing and operating online degree programs, and trains faculty throughout CUNY in online instruction.
CUNY SPS is also the home of the Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies which is a collaboration between the University and New York City labor unions, for the purpose of serving the educational, policy and research needs of unions and their members. The Institute is comprised of the Center for Worker Education in Manhattan and at Queens College, and the Center for Labor, Community and Policy Studies. The Institute is part of the School of Professional Studies and the Graduate School and University Center.
The mission of the Center for Worker Education is to expand higher education opportunities for working adults. The Center provides students with access to the degree and certificate programs they need to develop their skills and interests, keep pace with industrial and technological change, advance their careers, and participate actively in their unions, communities and workplaces. A critical area of work in the Center is to identify and recruit potential applicants for the programs and enroll them in the Institute and at Queens College. The College Assistant’s principal assignment will be to work with the Murphy Institute Program Manager at our Queens College site.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The College Assistant will report to the Coordinator to carry out the following duties:
- Support recruitment initiatives including presentations, phone banking and site visits.
- Assist in preparation for Open House events.
- Assist with mailings.
- Assist with follow-up with potential applicants.
- Data entry.
- Database and spreadsheet maintenance.
- Generate reports and labels using MS Access and Excel.
- Assist with answering the phone, routing calls and recording messages.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma/GED
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Proficiency with Word and PowerPoint, and comfortable with technology.
- Excellent organizational and analytic skills, attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong administrative skills.
- Excellent customer service orientation.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively, clearly and concisely to all levels of administration, staff and faculty.
Salary Range: $15.00
Hours: 20 hours per week
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information of three (3) professional references to:
Joseph S. Murphy Institute /College Assistant
Program Manager, Center for Worker Education At Queens, JSMI
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer:
The School of Professional Studies complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.
Selected applicants must pay fingerprint and filing fees (full-time CUNY students are excluded from fingerprint fee)
All prospective candidates must be able to be certified as eligible to work under the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
The School of Professional Studies verifies education and experience statements.