Online Master's Degree in Data Analytics (M.S.)Home » Programs » Online Master's Degree in Data Analytics (M.S.)
The Online Master’s Degree in Data Analytics (M.S.) prepares graduates to make sense of real-world phenomena and everyday activities by synthesizing and mining big data with the intention of uncovering patterns, relationships, and trends. Big data has emerged as the driving force behind critical business decisions. Advances in our ability to collect, store, and process different kinds of data from traditionally unconnected sources enables us to answer complex, data-driven questions in ways that have never been possible before.
Data analytics combines information management, systems thinking, quantitative methods, data modeling, data warehousing, and data mining to produce visualizations and other business intelligence models that help organizational leaders predict and evaluate best practices. For example:
- Businesses can predict future sales results by combining their customers’ preference profiles with website click-stream data, social network interactions, and location data.
- Police and fire departments collaborate with emergency managers and homeland security to develop more accurate models of automotive and pedestrian traffic by using GPS data from cars, buses, taxis, and mobile phones.
- Emergency room physicians are able to reduce time to initial treatment and, as a result, patient mortality, by fusing aggregate patient histories with the results of up to the minute lab tests.
Careers in Data Analytics
Students in the Online Master’s Degree in Data Analytics that opt for the track in urban sustainability are trained in urban informatics, and emerge prepared for jobs that help make cities “smarter”-for example, by making the electricity grid intelligent, relieving traffic congestion, and reducing building energy consumption. Graduates of the Online Master’s Degree in Data Analytics are prepared for a variety of technical and managerial positions such as Data Scientist, Business Intelligence Analyst, Knowledge and Informatics Engineer, Data Analyst, Data Mining Engineer, and Data Warehousing Manager.
When considering the Online Master’s Degree in Data Analytics, it is helpful to look at the job market in analytics, data science, and informatics. Recommended sources include:
- Data Scientist: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century (Harvard Business Review)
- Big Data: The next frontier for innovation, competition, and productivity (McKinsey)
- Special Report: It’s a Smart World (The Economist)
Applicants must be proficient in at least one high-level computer language (e.g., Java or C ++) and be comfortable with advanced mathematics, such as statistics and calculus. A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 from an accredited institution and an admissions interview are required.
|Need to strengthen your programming and math skills for admission into the program? Learn more about our free refresher workshops.|
- First Round Applications for Fall 2014 due by March 14, 2014 — Apply Now
- Second Round Applications for Fall 2014 due by May 2, 2014 — Apply Now
For more information about the program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 212.652.2869.