The Local 1180 Urban Leadership program is a special sequence of courses and projects for students in Urban Studies degree programs. It offers students opportunities for experiential and applied learning and gives students:
- Important higher education credentials
- A deeper understanding of urban problems and issues
- Improved analytical skills
- Greater knowledge of government agencies and the delivery of social services, the legislative and budgetary process, and urban workforce issues and problems
- Preparation for leadership in the workplace, union, and community
Tuition costs for up to 24 credits in the Urban Leadership program are covered by Local 1180. Members who wish to take additional credits are reimbursed at the rate of $200 per semester. Members are also reimbursed $25 per semester for book expenses.
CWA 1180 Labor Studies Scholarship Program
Local 1180 offers two full scholarships a year for applicants to the M.A. program in Labor Studies. Awards are made by a committee, based on candidates’ academic record, writing ability, and history of union and community engagement. The scholarship covers tuition costs from admissions through graduation for students who maintain a 3.0 grade point average.
For more information on Local 1180 programs and for Labor Studies scholarship applications call the Murphy Institute at 212.827.0200.