Online Bachelor's Degree in Disability Studies (B.A.)
General Bachelor's Degree Programs Information Sessions
Disability Studies Programs Information Session
Disability Studies is an emerging academic field which explores disability and society using overlapping perspectives from the social sciences, humanities, science, and the law. The Online Bachelor's Degree in Disability Studies (B.A.) offers both a strong foundation in disability theory and history as well as opportunities for in-depth study in one of four concentrations.
Students in the Online Bachelor's Degree in Disability Studies will:
- Learn the history that many textbooks overlook;
- Acquire new ways of thinking about disability;
- Explore socio-medical aspects of disability and the social and physical barriers to full inclusion and integration;
- Learn how to interpret disability law and policy;
- Read first-hand experiences of people with disabilities; and
- Explore what it means to live with a disability.
Career and Academic Advancement Prospects
Graduates of the Online Bachelor's Degree in Disability Studies program will be equipped with the knowledge, values, and skills that are sought by agencies providing services to individuals in community programs. Graduates will also be prepared for graduate work in disability studies, social work, rehabilitation counseling, physical and occupational therapy, education, sociology, psychology, anthropology, and liberal studies.
To qualify for admission to any of the Bachelor's Degree programs applicants must have:
- Earned at least 24 transferable credits from an accredited college or university;
- Maintained an overall minimum GPA of 2.5; and
- Demonstrate basic proficiency in reading, writing, and mathematics. For more information, click here.
The online application requires students to complete a personal essay that will help us understand your educational goals and readiness to return to college.
*International students may enroll in fully online degree programs. However, our online programs do not qualify for student visas.
- Applications for Fall 2014 due by August 1, 2014 -- Apply Now!